Monday, April 7, 2014

Pseudonyms

I choose to write under a pseudonym and many people have asked me why.  I made this decision based upon a variety of factors:

My real name is long and hard to remember (and spell!), so not the best choice for a pen name. 

Ever since I was a little girl I thought Bryen O'Riley would be a nice name to write under.  There are so many changes to dreams as one grows up - it is nice to be able to see that one through. 

I've always liked keeping my life separate.  When I was a teenager I wanted to keep my school friends and my theatre friends and my 4-H friends and my church friends (etc.) separate.  I don't know why and that is something I have definitely grown out of.  However, I suppose it is a way to keep my private life and my professional life separate.  It is harder when my office is my living room and my "work time" is what I can scrounge up in the midst of a busy day.  Having even a small separation (like a name) is a nice way to keep my roles straight.

And, finally, I like the anonymity that it allows me.  Of course, with social media (like blogs!!) anonymity isn't really anonymous anymore!!!  But it gives me a little bit of anonymity anyway!

No comments:

Post a Comment